Sunday, January 25, 2009

Weekend in Indianapolis, Part II

After the audition, I briefly met the other oboist auditioning and mostly relaxed for a couple hours. I met her again at the wind ensemble rehearsal that must have started around two, and we talked some. I wonder if we'll play together next year? That could be really cool.

At 4:00 or so, round two of the day began: I met Laura, a freshman oboist at Butler majoring in music education with whom I was to spend the night. She was really nice and friendly, and I felt really welcomed. I think it should be clear by now that I'm feeling quite positive about Butler in general. I don't know whether I'll go there yet, but it was nice to know that I could definitely be happy there. And Butler has already sent me a nice bundle of money in academic scholarships, so I could very easily end up there. Even so, I most certainly have not decided where I will be going to school yet. I have to complete the rest of my auditions, give all the schools a final one-over, and see what kind of aid I'll be getting. Until then, anything might happen. Still, Butler's in a good place after these past couple of days.

When I went up to Laura's dorm to drop off my sleeping bag, clothes, etc, I was introduced to her friend Yael and Yael's "hostee" (whose name now escapes me). I immediately noticed that Yael was wearing a magen david. When she realized that I'm Jewish, she immediately hugged me and exclaimed over me, because I guess Butler doesn't have much of a Jewish population. The girl she was hosting chimed in that she was Jewish as well, which was really cool. This reminded Yael that the Hillel organization (or whatever it is) was having a Shabbat dinner that night, so it was decided the three of us would go there for food. In the mean time, we picked up another Jewish girl, a bass player, being hosted by another friend of Laura and Yael. So we went together to a short service and some food. I enjoyed myself. I guess I wish I could go somewhere with more Jews on campus, but I at least they're there and have these dinners and stuff, so I won't lose my Jewish identity either. That's really what matters as far as that goes.

After dinner, we went to a faculty recital. It was super amazing and good. I had a great time, really and truly. Anyway, I could ramble on for a while, but the point is, the visit part of my Butler excursion was absolutely successful and I know I'll be happy there. I've said that already? Well I think that's the main point of this particular blog post. Tomorrow I'll talk about… OBOE SHOPPING!!!!! (stay tuned!)

No comments:

Post a Comment