Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekend in Indianapolis, Part III

Despite all the good I've been spouting about my audition/visit at Butler, the best part of my weekend came on Saturday when I went buy an oboe from Carlos Cuelho http://www.carlosoboe.com . I had not realized until that day that my parents were willing to go all the way to $8k for me. I should qualify that; I've been saving money for this oboe for several years, but I still don't think I could have contributed much more than $3k. I'm not quite sure though, I don't know how much used to be in my bank account.

Anyway, that meant that I was able to buy a brand new Loree Royale. I tried six different oboes, and that's what I came home with. I'm still incredibly excited about this, I can't even say. The hard part is that I still need to break it in, so I can only play on it fifteen to twenty minutes at a time. When I switch back to the Fox (I've been playing a Renard 330 for about six years now) it feels almost like a toy. My band director just told me to bring the Fox back to school to give to another oboist, which worries me. We have some talking to do, because I really need to have an oboe I can play on for an extended period of time! But I hate to leave someone without an oboe. Anyway, I'll be keeping my hands on the Fox at least until I audition at Duquesne this Friday no matter what. Then we can maybe work something out. Oh well, I'll worry about that later. The point is, I have an amazing oboe now and I'm pretty much in love with it. His name is Bellamy, which is a French name (fitting, right?) that means "beautiful friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment