Sunday, April 26, 2009

Another Week

(The picture is from Obohemia: http://www.oboe-comics.com/ and it's like the best website ever)

It's amazing, on the one hand I don't feel like I've been here all that long, but at the same time, my last post feels like forever ago. So here goes my week in an attempt of something like chronological order:

I believe it was Monday morning that I began hacking away at bamboo. So Acorn has this bamboo, and I guess someone has decided that it has grown far enough. G Paul asked me to cut some down and beat it back to a certain line, and then I got to strip branches off. This has actually been an on going project through the entire week--there's a lot of bamboo. This was actually kind of entertaining for me just because bamboo is such a cool plant. I mean, it's bamboo!! I suppose as an oboist I'm supposed to like bamboo, as the arundo donax plant oboe reeds come from is closely related.

I also learned to pick orders this week. Now, as well as putting seeds in packets, I can work in the seed room, gathering together what people have ordered and rubber-banding them together. It's not real exciting, but actually takes a certain amount of concentration since the numbers start to look the same after a while. I understand the way the seeds are catalogged though, which is a good thing I suppose.

The other good thing about picking is that the seed room is temperature controlled as nowhere else here is. Yesterday and today the weather has been in the 90s, and it's not supposed to go down until Wednesday. The heat is brutal. The last couple of days working outside only an hour and a half was enough to completely wipe me out for the rest of the day. Today I only needed to work that long to make quota (42 hours a week, and I was almost there already) and I spent it in the office this morning rather than working in the garden. Hopefully not doing any physical work today will make me ready to face tomorrow.

Working outside has included not only the bamboo exploits but more garden work. I've been doing mostly weeding and transplanting lately. I still really enjoy working in the garden, but I think I need to rework my schedule, at least for the next few days to do it mostly in the early morning and after dinner before sundown. The thing that is both nice and difficult about living here is that I make my own schedule and can do pretty much whatever work I want. No one is telling me what I must do, so I simply have to look around to find what needs doing and ask around to see if I can help people. It's nice because I can do things like rearrange the order of my day, but it can be difficult if there aren't obvious things that need doing.

I'm quite happy here, except for the brutal heat, and I hope things are also good at home. I hear the Wind Ensemble got a 1 at state contest, which is awesome! Good job guys, I knew you could do it!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment