Sunday, April 19, 2009

Good Times

I've now spent about a week at Acorn and I'm having a really great time. I was surprised when I got here how welcomed I felt and how much working in dirt made me happy. I've done a lot of work in the garden, mostly weeding, and have done quite a bit of seed packing in the office. Seed packing basically entails weighing seeds and putting the right amount into packets to be sold. I'm hoping that in days and weeks to come I might be able to do some other things in the office. I also did some paper stapling, but that's about the same level of task. I don't object to packing seeds of course since it does need to get done.

Yesterday was my "get off the property day." First I went to Charlottesville with Thomas and Juniper for the Earth Week eco-fair where Southern Exposure Seed Exchange--Acorn's seed business--had a table. It wasn't actually all that exciting and I had to attempt to be helpful to people when I couldn't actually answer any of their questions. Happily, we were so close to the stage that it was really hard to hear what people were saying so people didn't try too hard and I had an excuse for being confused. I was never at the table by myself either so it was really just a matter of getting people to talk to Thomas or Juniper instead.

I was only back at Acorn long enough to eat dinner and then I went to Twin Oaks, which is another community about 7 miles away. Twin Oaks is much larger than Acorn, 110ish as opposed to 15ish, and they make their money from hammocks and tofu as opposed to seeds, but they do have a lot in common and there's a lot of interaction between the two communities. The original purpose of going was a game of ultimate frisbee, and I discovered to no great surprise that I am still very bad at the game. I had fun anyway though. We then went to the "birthday" party of a Twin Oaker (now 9500 days old) and there was smoked cheese (made with Twin Oaks's new smoker) and popcorn. I enjoyed being there because I knew a couple people who had been working at Acorn when I first arrived and people are just generally really nice at these communities.

In general, things are going great and I am happy. I hope things are still good at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment