Saturday, February 7, 2009

Chillaxin’ at the Southern

Yesterday was a pretty slow day for me. Most of it was spent at the Southern theatre for the rehearsals. We don't need to do a whole lot there, and I really can't help with most of that anyway. What's more, the little niche backstage where I spent my downtime had a TV and I have a tendency to be completely stupefied by those things. I think it's actually because I almost never watch TV, so when I do, I have a lot of trouble pulling my eyes away even though I really don't care about what's on. I have a feeling, therefore, that I may have missed some opportunities to at least ask to help because I just wasn't paying attention. The other thing is that when Julia left and I didn't know where, I really didn't have any way of knowing I wouldn't get lost wandering around the Southern, so I decided to stay put. I think I heard the weather forecast six times yesterday.

The first rehearsal at the Southern was open to senior citizens, and we handed out cookies and juice at break. That is, Katie and I handed out cookies and Juice to guests while Julia hunted down Vadim and Gary to confirm some things. There's not much to say about the open rehearsal. We were supposed to take pictures too, but I have a feeling they all came out blurry. People kept moving before the picture had actually taken.

After that, I really didn't have much to do. There were more rehearsing, but that didn't require anything from me. The niche backstage I mentioned earlier with the TV felt sort of like a cross between how I envision a dorm room and the back hallway. It was about the size of the back hallway, with chairs lining the edges in a similar arrangement. Where your office would be, there was in fact a non-functional elevator. There were two narrow tables covered in a mess of things and a bulletin board covered in things I mostly didn't read. There was a printout of a cyanide and happiness comic and a picture of the stage manager with the caption "who's your daddy?" The stage manager and a couple other people who worked at the theatre (I'm not sure exactly of their jobs) spent their time back there, as well as Julia some and Tim and a few musicians would come out at break.

When the rehearsal s ended, we had to bring everything over to the Josephinum. The harpsichord and some stands and chairs were shoved in a van and Julia drove us over to the Josephinum taking a stop first at Chipotle. Setting up went really quickly because there were a couple seminarian students helping, along with Katie and a friend of hers. We had to put stage lights on all the stands because the light isn't great there. Julia had just finished saying how she used to have to tape down all the chords but hasn't the last couple of times and no one said anything when I almost tripped over chords. I guess I'm just talented or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment