Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This is Fo' Realz!

On Friday, Katie and I basically finished up with finding and making contacts for the student gala silent auction. That was really refreshing. Cassie (Julia’s former intern and SAB chair) came in and she was really relieved to see all the work that we had done. (Mostly me!) Technically, other SAB-ers are supposed to have been contacting businesses to sponsor the gala or make silent auction donations. Thing is, there’s no guarantee that this will actually happen. It could yet, and I won’t speak ill of anyone. But so far as we know, no one else has yet. I think this was the first time I truly felt good about what I had been doing. It put new determination in me to actually finish making calls.

Saturday, I went around picking up a few items for the silent auction from businesses. That was an adventure because I did actually manage to get lost. This was the weekend of learning to drive independently. For all that I’ve had my license for over a year, I haven’t really used it for more than minor things like going to music lessons. I really don’t know my way around once you leave a… very small radius of my house. Not sure what that would be exactly. So on Friday I drove home by myself and learned that even though Worthington is North of downtown (I was so pleased with myself for not getting on 71 south even though it looked like where I thought I should get on the highway), 70 is South of where I was, so if I wanted to take 71 to 70 to 315, I wanted to get on 71 South. Figured, I always thought my weakness was landmarks even though I have a good instinct for orientation, but in this case I would have been golden had I trusted my landmark recognition and ignored the knowledge that I was “going the wrong way.”

Then, on Saturday, when I wanted to go to Polaris (among other places) my dad told my to take High St to Powel Road (my mom later couldn’t understand why he hadn’t told me to take the highway). Powel Road wasn’t really marked so I drove past it, tried to turn around and ended up on Powel Road going West (wrong direction) with nowhere (nowhere!) to turn around. So I never got to Polaris. I’m not sure when I will. I felt pretty proud of myself picking up the silent auction items though. It made the phone calls feel real and purposeful, and it was just cool to see plans that actually affect real life carry themselves out. Overall, I was rather pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment