Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Dvorak and JAG

When I arrived at ProMusica on Monday, waiting for me was the printout I’d made of the April open rehearsal program, only now it had some red ink on it. That’s cool though: after college comp I don’t think twice about red ink. One thing I had fun with, however, was the spelling of Dvorak’s name. You see, it’s all very well to spell Dvorak “Dvorak” most of the time, but in real life the “a” should have an accent and the “r” should have a little scoop thing over it. It’s not too hard to put an accent on an “a.” In fact knowing how is absolutely vital in higher level Spanish courses. But I had never seen the “r” symbol before. I thought this would be easy too. I’d just go to the “insert” dropdown menu and choose “symbol.” I’d look at the list of symbols and find the one I wanted. Unfortunately, the “r” I was looking for wasn’t a choice.

Now, I had actually gone through that mess the first time around when I made the program to begin with. Everywhere the program notes referred to Dvorak, they listed “Dvo_ák” instead. I wiki’d Dvorak to find out what the problem might be but decided to just use a normal “r” when wasn’t one of the symbol’s on the computer. I tried copy, pasting the special “r” from the wiki article but it came out as _. Julia told me to just use a normal “r.”

When I got the program back from Ashley, however, she inked a little scoop over all the r’s in Dvorak so I decided to try again because I was at a different computer, after all. I found the wikipedia not for Dvorak, but for the special r in his name and tried to copy, paste. With much tinkering and cajoling, I got this to work.

The most significant part of my day came afterwards when Julia and I went to Hilliard Davidson to check on some kids working on the Creative Hybrids composition project. But it turned out Julia and Judy Shafer (Jazz Arts Group’s education director also involved in Creative Hybrids) were not really needed so we decided to go to Panera and have a meeting.

My, that was interesting, although there are many details I do not completely understand. They talked about the Creative Hybrids project, but also a new (potential?) piece of legislation that would require schools to offer students credit for learning experiences outside the classroom. (hmmm, does that sound familiar?) OK, so admittedly I don’t really know what I’m referring to, but it was intriguing because of the way the idea is going over in other circles. It makes me realize how much Linworth affects the way I view education and I wonder how I would view something like that without having been a Linworth student… except if I weren’t a Linworth student I wouldn’t have been present for the conversation.

It seems that Judy was present at some meeting of a collection of art and music teachers. The visual art teachers, apparently, were particularly afraid that their jobs would be put in jeopardy because students wouldn’t go to art classes anymore. That wasn’t the part that surprised me though, not because I think it’s necessarily true (and if it is, the kids would probably be better off that way) but because I expect a certain number people to take a “how will this hurt me?” approach to any kind of change. This led into a discussion of youth orchestras and bands that some people fear take away from the public school band programs. I know to be in CYSB you are required to be a member of your school band if it has one, and Julia said that it had been the same when she did work for CSYO. Apparently, however, CSYO has changed the rules from “required” to “strongly encouraged” because of lawsuits. I’m not sure what I think of that though. I’m especially interested to see why the requirement is a legal problem, but oh well.

There was also, apparently, the logistical problem to be solved of how to deal with actually giving the credit. Specifically, Judy mentioned concerns over compensation for the teacher to whom a student would present a project. I collect that in the midst of a discussion of what a band director would do, and all that they already do, Judy suggested that it wouldn’t by necessity be a music teacher. Imagine if a student wanted to study with one of JAG’s musicians from [I forget what latin American country] to learn about culture and presented to a social studies teacher. The room, Judy said, got quiet for about thirty seconds and I guess it was the person leading the discussion who said, “I hadn’t thought of that” and started scribbling notes.

Wait… what?! Is it really just because I’m a Linworth student that I don’t think twice about that suggestion? It seems so natural to expect that everything’s related to everything else, and that’s especially true of the arts. I’d go so far as to say that the ability to connect the arts to science and math and social studies is absolutely vital to keeping them a part of the education system. It’s well for Worthington, but in many districts both locally and nationally, arts education is dwindling and disintegrating. There’s something disconcerting to the thought that no one but Judy Shafer in a gathering of art teachers would look at the arts as an extension of some other field. Well, at least there’s Judy Shafer.

No comments:

Post a Comment