Friday, March 13, 2009

More Thoughts on Sleep, Inspired by Justin Locke

I've neglected to write any more about sleep since my initial post on the subject, but I was reading Justin Locke's blog just now and was reminded that I really ought to. The problem is a fundamental misunderstanding of the way the human body and mind works.

Justin Locke wrote about the mistake which is the eight-hour workday. He used the model of a symphony orchestra to demonstrate that in a creative, thought intensive, work environment, more than 25 hours a week just doesn't work. You cannot be creative without rest. You cannot give the same intensity into anything without rest. You cannot accomplish as much without rest. The long hours, the extra time, the deliriousness and the agony, it's all for nothing. It is harmful, not only to you, but to the work that you are doing.

That point cannot be driven in hard enough. It's so counter to the philosophy from which we craft every single day, that really believing and living by the lesson is near impossible. I say this from the perspective, once again, of a student. High school students are taught that on top of school, they must participate in extracurricular activities, give back to the community with community service, complete their homework, and sometimes even work a job on top of that. Then the teachers wonder why we're falling asleep at our desks. But there's nothing we can do about it. Worse, I am speaking for an affluent school district that performs beautifully on standardized tests, a model for the nation. So if someone from elsewhere in the nation, or someone nearby at a less privileged school district, is saying "that's not how things are at all," the heads and tails of it is that this is how the powers that be feel things are supposed to be. The students getting into the top tier universities are the ones who work themselves to death and scorn rest most harshly. I wonder, how long until they burn out?

But I go to two schools; that's how I'm interning at ProMusica Chamber Orchestra today. And I have recently come to appreciate the one aspect that used to make me doubt the program: a lacking of rigor. I never minded that the classes were innovative and unique, but I felt that students at the main campuses were pressed harder to do more homework. I felt they had to stress more over tests. I thought more material was covered. But now I wonder. I wonder, even if they covered more material, who will remember more of it years from now? I wonder, what good does it do to pass a test? I remember when another Walkabout student mentioned some time ago that she felt that we learn more outside of work than we do working. She marveled at how much time people put throwing themselves into work when most of life happens outside of that. I wonder, do our straight A Harvard bound students ever learn from anything outside of school? They dutifully fulfill the extracurricular activity requirement, but they're still surrounded by students and led by a coach or a teacher. And it's a duty, so it's still work. Along with sleep, our culture could stand to learn to play. But I digress.

One of the methods used by cults on new recruits to reel them in is sleep deprivation. People are herded into a summer camp like setting and kept active for long hours for little break. People don't question as much without sleep. Indoctrination is much easier in this setting. Just what are our schools anyway? We don't need to crank out cookie cutter factory workers anymore. What we need are independent, individual, creative minds. That's exactly what we lose when we deprive our children of sleep. It would be oh so easy to claim some malicious scheme of our education system of indoctrination and brainwashing, but I know too many teachers too intimately to believe any such thing. Nevertheless, that is the problem on its face: if you listen to anyone talk about the future of education, you will hear a call for high powered minds that think creatively. If we want that, we can't just stuff kids full of knowledge. That doesn't do the job. We need to let them think. And to do that, we have to let them sleep.

2 comments:

  1. hi miriam, an intriguing post, very complimentary too so thanks :-) you should give up the oboe and go into expose journalism! anyway-- you reminded me of a high school bass student i had once, he attended a very fancy dancy college prep school (we have lots of them here in boston, as getting into a "good school" is all some people think about) . . . and he had so much homework every night he was constantly sleep deprived. at first i suspected indolence but he explained his schedule to me and there was no way he could get 8 or even 6 hrs a night. so i refused to give him any assignments, as he had no time or energy to practice. anyway, another friend of mine told me that high school students grow physically WHILE THEY SLEEP. of course, that makes so much sense. physical andmentla health is at stake here. but there is this machismo (or to be sexually ecumenical, femchismo??) about not needing sleep. kids, esp high school kids, need to rest. at last, your generation has something you can be truly rebellious about. I can see the headlines now: "high school students caught sleeping" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never give up the oboe. If I end up with a different career (I believe anything could happen, really) I still wouldn't give up the oboe.

    I'm glad you like what I have to say, hopefully I can convince some of my peers that this is legitimately important now. I have heard that before about physical growth, also that memory is transferred from short-term to long-term during sleep. I don't think people understand that sleep is just as much a primary need as food is and that homework... isn't.

    ReplyDelete