Friday, March 13, 2009

Parking Garages and Vouchers

Julia wasn’t at ProMusica today but I was left a fair amount to do. However, before I got to start that, Ashley asked me to drive over to OSU to hang some signs for ProMusica’s next concert and put out some flyers. I have to say, it was a bit of an adventure. But as seems to happen with me, the task was not nearly so significant as the simple act of getting where I needed to be.

That said, OSU isn’t very hard to find. The difficulty was finding a place to park. Ashley told me where Weigel Hall, the music building, is and said that once I passed it there should be a parking garage or meters or something where I could park. All went well enough at first. I got to the parking garage, but didn’t notice until I had pushed the button to get my ticket that it was for keycard only—no visitors. So I had no choice but to back out a bit and turn around, which was kind of awkward but not the end of the madness.

I went around in a circle and then decided to turn on a random street in hopes of finding somewhere to park. I didn’t get very far until I hit a “do not enter” sign barring construction work. There had been nothing to mark this before it was too late (I checked as I left) so I found myself turning around in a way that must have been illegal (but I know there couldn’t be cars coming the other direction) although it certainly was an exemplary three point turn and had to decide what to do. I’d only driven a few feet when I saw a police officer. I decided that although I could well be questioned on how I’d gotten where I was, I figured that in asking piteously for directions I would come off as lost and confused enough as not to invite punishment. And, with his direction, I did find a garage for visitor parking. Hallelujah.

It’s ironic that I commented on my little vouchers as a sort of landmark yesterday because Julia wanted me to have everyone look over them before I made copies and Ashley completely rewrote them. Oh well. I don’t think I would have even minded if I hadn’t decided to make some significance out of them, but then it’s still a learning experience so I’ll take it. Still, I can’t say I wasn’t a bit disappointed. Then, I made packets for all the students who will be participating in the side-by-side performance on April 4th, sorted them by school, and sent them off to orchestra directors. This process was interrupted by Joe’s printing of 250 envelopes. Good God, I think it took two hours. Ashley was rereading my new and improved vouchers when he started so I didn’t get to print those until he finished.

Excitingly enough, King’s Island sent an email to Julia—they’re donating two tickets to the park to the student gala! But they aren’t due to arrive until May 1st, so I got to make vouchers for that. It was exciting though, because those parks are expensive so that was by far the heftiest donation so far. It made me quite happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment