Thursday, March 5, 2009

Things Are Looking Up

Yesterday [Monday] was a pretty good day. I found it funny; in seminar we were discussing grunt work and after I talked, Liz said that she knew sometimes at non-profits they do a mailing and have an envelope stuffing day. Even though I could completely envision it, it had never exactly happened… until yesterday. I think actually this will take up more than one day, but we only spent maybe two hours on it yesterday (as opposed to the entire day). Joe needed to finish preparing the second batch. So, after stuffing envelopes, I got to un-stuff programs. We used the same little envelopes to mail back donations to stuff the programs as we put in the mailings, so I was given a box of old programs that hadn’t gotten distributed and took all the little envelopes out. I’m not sure how long that took.

It’s funny, and I observed this before when stuffing programs, but I really didn’t mind the work at all and even kind of enjoyed it. The big pile of tedious work shouldn’t have looked any different from the one giant spreadsheet of contacts I had to compile for Julia, but when I did that I had to fight back a feeling of futility, a feeling that I would never, ever finish. I think this was just as monotonous and time consuming, but somehow it didn’t feel that way. I don’t really know why.

There was a staff meeting today, and I realized that I was really looking forward to it. I think this is the first time I actually legitimately took good notes too. Previously, I was never really sure what to write and grew self-conscious about it, but I guess I’ve gotten a better feel of what actually applies to me and what I’ll probably be involved with later. Things disintegrated into strangeness at the end. Janet warned Ashley that she would corrupt me, which was funny. I thought of a few years ago when I first began to spend time in the back hallway and the kinds of conversation inspired by Liam, Sean and Alisha. Stranger things have reached my ears. It’s funny, for a while conversation had become almost pristine, revolving almost always around school and band. The last couple times I’ve wandered back there, however, the freshmen were not discussing such wholesome topics. I was kind of amused, to be honest. Things cycle back around, I guess.

Yesterday, I used Facebook at ProMusica—but for a noble purpose! Julia had me upload some pictures to the computer, and then she asked be to post a few in the Creative Hybrids group on Facebook. I did almost feel bad though, because the super slow computer I use most of the time just couldn’t deal with Facebook. (It’s moments like these that make me wish they had never changed their layout—it didn’t use to take up so much computer space) So I had to used Yvette’s computer, which is newer and faster, but it’s also a PC and thus (apparently) more likely to get messed up by cookies. When I started to type in the URL though, I saw that it had already been accessed on that computer so I didn’t feel as bad anymore. There’s no way the mac could have gotten those pictures uploaded. It would have just frozen or given up or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment